Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Under the weather..


Yet.....I'm still doing things around the house.

I'm a terrible sick person I really am. I'm not that great at just taking a load off and relaxing. Well not that one really can when it's just you and a 12 month old in the house, but still I could have spent more time relaxing on the couch and let her play with her toys in the living room. But nope. I ended up cleaning the kitchen really good, washing some clothes, and windexing the back door windows. Part of the reason I have a hard time laying around when I'm sick or in pain is because I think about what's hurting more whereas if I'm moving around my mind is not focused on it and mentally it makes you feel not as sick. The mind is a powerful thing.

Oh I'm talking about yesterday by the way. That's when it started. I woke up with a sore throat given to me by not naming any names ::cough...serena::...cough:: and feeling just very sluggish. I got Serena up for school, dropped her off and started my day with Layla. I did try to take a nap when I put Layla down but of course of all days she only napped for 30 minutes. So nap I did not. Later on she proceeded to be extra whiny and clingy for a good while, and I may or may not have wanted to breakdown during her lunchtime.

How could I be mad at this face though? How? 10 bonus points for looking extra cute too.


To make matters worse around 4pm my muscle knots started to hurt something awful. When your body is fighting an infection it feels more sensitive so I suppose this is why I got slapped with an extra dose of hurt. It was bad though. Not even my heating pad was helping and I couldn't find my tylenol, not that it would have helped anyways. I could barely talk by the time H called me on his way home from work. I was just so miserable. I was feeding Layla her dinner and I just cried. I must have confused her. The funny thing is, I felt a little better. Sometimes you just have to let out that pent up frustration and have yourself a good cry. When you cry you release stress hormones and one of them is cortisol.

Conditions such as inflammatory disorders and skin disorders are treated with sythetic cortisol. Also small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:
  • A quick burst of energy for survival reasons
  • Heightened memory functions
  • A burst of increased immunity
  • Lower sensitivity to pain
  • Helps maintain homeostasis in the body
This is probably why my pain level goes down after a good cry. Which isn't too often. H gave me a good shoulder/neck massage later that evening too. I woke up this morning feeling better. More energy, though still a sore throat and my muscle knot pain is barely there. It's so weird how that works and I have yet to unlock the reason why I can have a really bad painful day and the next day it's practically non-existant. That's not too say some pain won't appear later this evening. I never know what's going to bring it on.




2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog via Kelly's Korner. I have a 13 year old daughter, an almost 9 month old daughter, and am due with our 3rd baby expected to arrive around Nov. 23rd. It's nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Kelly's Korner and I'm also due in November... expecting my 1st on the 1st! Best wishes to you for your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete