Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

DIY Mermaid Sign


Layla's party planning is well under way and I can't wait for her to see everything and enjoy her special day! Last year I did a fairy theme and this year it's all about the mermaids! We are having her party at the pool so the theme fits in perfectly. A few weeks ago I started pinning away ideas and one of the first things I wanted to do was a wooden sign. My neighbor is a talented woodworker and he whipped up the sign out of his leftover wood like in 10 minutes. I bought a paint sample at Home Depot (Glidden-Bermuda Bay) and then proceeded to find the perfect stencil online. I spent all this time trying to find a stencil but ended up just free-handing it. Any mistakes were painted over with the blue paint and a small brush. You can also buy stencils at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. really any craft store. 

For the actual sign, you can find something similar at Hobby Lobby in their wood section. The top portion anyways. It takes out having to build it yourself. If you want a stake, go to a Home Depot or Lowes and buy a stick. You can easily nail one in the back of the board you bought. 


After painting the sign, I started by writing out the letters in pencil first then went over it with white acrylic paint a few times. After that, I simply hot glued a star fish I bought from Michael's.


Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment