Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Holding myself accountable again. Let the fitness begin!


Like most of the world, I've decided to refocus on my fitness goals again. Winter break is over and it's the beginning of the year so here we go again...at least until I fall off the wagon again. Hoping not too this time, but I'm human and life happens. I'm not normally a scale checker because it's really hard for me to gain weight and I only tend to fluctuate between 2 pounds, but I was pleasantly surprised that even I gained weight during the holidays. This really only happens when I'm pregnant and no I'm not pregnant. 

The problem with these few new pounds which I'm still excited about still is that they aren't muscle. I've been eating like crap for the past month. I mean I guess my eating wasn't too bad and the kids have well balanced meals, but I've consumed a lot of sugar over the holidays and lately my stomach has been sensitive to a lot of things. I'm getting bloated constantly! The extra weight has traveled to my stomach and lower half as it tends to do. Now I'm not really complaining, I know how lucky I am that I've birthed 4 babies, can eat whatever I want and still not gain weight. However I'm still a woman who wants to feel good in her skin, have the energy to run after her kids, and live a long healthy life...and I wouldn't mind the stomach pooch going away again.

 What I found that works for me now in my mid 30's is exercising 30 minutes 5-6 days a week. 30 minutes also works with the kids. This way I'm not taking up much of their time. I usually put some dance music on Pandora and they have a little dance party next to me. I also hate gyms. I'm fully aware though that workouts at home are not going to get me all the way to my goals without the proper equipment. When the time comes--when I'll want to add in more weights, then I guess I'll reluctantly drag my ass to the gym. Until then you'll catch me at home with my resistance bands and homemade weights.

The 30 minute workouts really do work. I started this regimen late 2016 and I had the beginning of abs after 8 weeks and my backside was tighter. I will say that it doesn't take me long to get back into shape. I'm not sure if it's genetics or muscle memory because I've been in sports since I was 7 years old. Most of the time I played soccer, but I also did volleyball, track, cross country and taekwondo. I haven't been on a team since Serena my oldest was 5 years old though. I am always on my feet though and stay active.


Here is a before those 8 weeks and 11 months postpartum with baby #4


I have specific exercises that I do that work for me that I got either from Youtube or Instagram. I'll share more on those in another post. A really popular program right now is Kayla Itsines BBG (Bikini body guide) program. From my understanding it's a 12 week program consisting of 28 minute workouts. I think she sells a ebook and there's an app you can use, but you can probably find all of the info you need for free online. I just started yesterday and this morning my abs and lower half is sore. That's a good thing and it will wear off once I've been doing my regimen for a few more days.


After my workout I drank a high fiber meal replacement with almond and coconut milk. I don't always drink this after a workout, but a few times a week. I don't use it as a meal replacement since it only has 250 calories anyways, but instead for the protein and extra calories. I have a very fast metabolism which is another reason I try to stay away from too much cardio. I'll be updating more along the way over the next few months. Also I recently got to test out a new Home DNA collection kit that is said to unlock the secret to achieving a healthy weight using insights from your own genetic code.


I should be getting my personalized report back in about 4 weeks where it will tell me how my protein, fat, and carbohydrates are utilized, exercise and strength training for my body type, and much more! I tried Home DNA's skin care analysis a few months ago and it was spot on! You can read my thoughts on it here. I've been very impressed with their products so far.

Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment